Saturday, May 22, 2010

Expanding Territory

TEGOT - Uganda

Last month we were invited to visit a women’s bible study in the village of Tegot. Friends of ours (Christine & Ashley) and missionaries serving with Every Child Ministries, have asked us to bring the {purl} project out to the village sometime in the next few months. These two missionaries were given a necklace a while back and want to make more for the women they are connected with. I am hoping that they will be the ones to take the message. I think it would be received with so much joy if they were the ones to speak it.

After a bumpy ride and mud so deep, we were welcomed with many open arms. It was so neat to see what God is doing in the lives of not only our friends, but the beautiful women living in Tegot. After eating a wonderful meal and the sharing of the Word, the ladies began to praise God

Tegot, formerly an overcrowded IDP (Internally Displaced Persons) camp, was created as a result of the past 20 + years of conflict Northern Uganda has experienced. Today homes are being rebuilt and lives are being renewed by the message of Christ.


ABER - Uganda

I recently visited one of World Vision’s project sites, where I found myself sitting with a group of women trying to my best to share the message of the pearl with them. We found success between my broken Acholi, their broken English but mostly due to a woman named Babra who graciously translated for both of us. The women received a message of hope with open arms.

It is such an incredible opportunity to speak life over these women. The feeling I get when their faces light up with a smile as they make the connection between Uganda being called the “pearl of Africa” and themselves being pearls too … cannot be shown simply in a photograph. And every time I explain how a pearl is created out of suffering and becomes a life that is “aloyo” (victorious), I know I am here in Northern Uganda for a purpose.

It brings me so much joy to see these women simply smile and to know that God treasures them…and holds them in his hand. Near the end of the evening we made a stop at World Vision’s Child of War Rehabilitation Center in Gulu. At the present moment they are housing fourteen formerly abducted child soldiers. I was introduced to one of the directors who has contact with the young women that have been released or escaped the LRA (Lord’s Resistant Army) and have begun to make a life for themselves. Most have come home with one or more children and with deep emotional and physical scars. There was a moment that I was overwhelmed at the thought of these girls first arriving in the very compound I was visiting. It reminded me of how the {purl} project was birthed in the first place. I have been so incredibly blessed to watch God use it with women across Uganda, and look forward to bringing it to the young women that God broke my heart for on my last trip to Uganda in 2008.



GULU - Uganda

Our Marketplace Bible study has been going well. We recently bought a small drum to help us during our praise and worship time. We have had more women join us from the neighboring shops, most of which continue to go to the House of Prayer for noon hour fellowship each day.

An unexpected speaking engagement caught me off guard, but as always God had a message prepared for me to speak. Ironically enough I was asked to speak at a singles conference called “Foundations for Marriage and Ministry.” Although the conference had about 150 + in attendance both men and women, I found my message directed to the ladies. God continues to amaze me with the opportunities we are being presented with and the connections we are making with those living in and around Gulu.

I have also begun working with some of the Congolese women that have moved to Gulu in order to escape the LRA in Congo. As a result of poverty, these women were found prostituting themselves in order to provide for their children. While some are beginning to find other jobs and get themselves off the street, I have been teaching English. Up until this week I had 7 women I was teaching, but upon arriving to class on Tuesday, I found about 30 women waiting for me in one very small garage. These women are the ones who braided my hair a few weeks back, which at that time could not communicate with me at all. I can’t believe how fast they are picking English…when I connect it to some of the Swahili words I have managed to pick up…they respond so enthusiastically. I am waiting until the women have a better understanding of the language so I can share the message of the pearl with them. I am eagerly waiting for that day! I have been asked to share the message with the whole community of 80+ Congolese women. Needless to say, I am so thankful for those of you who have spent time making them. I am looking forward to the Heartstrings team coming out here in August!

Canada, USA, Guatemala & Beyond…

As much as God has been opening doors for the {purl} project here in Uganda, he has been on the move in other parts of the world. I recently received an email from one of the missionaries that was living with me until her return to Kansas last month. She is connected with a team going to Guatemala and is preparing to take the {purl} project there.
I have also received emails and asked for information about the project so they can bring it to summer camps both in Manitoba, Canada and California. It is so exciting to be here and hear about what God is doing across the world.

Thank you for being a part of what God is doing in the lives of women and girls here in the Pearl of Africa…and wherever else you find yourself sharing God’s love.

Blessings,
Janessa

No comments:

Post a Comment